A cover letter is an official letter which job applicants express their interest in the open position at a company. A good cover letter should include but not limited to the following components:
- Contact information of the applicants which allow employers to contact directly
- Salutation which formally addresses the hiring manager for the position
- Introduction of the applicant's background and education, and ideally something that will hook the reader in and make them interested
- Main body which showcases the applicant's relevant hard skills, soft skills, and experience which make them a good fit for the position as well as the company
- Conclusion that ties back to the introduction and the entire letter, and expresses gratitude to the employer for considering the application
- Complimentary close which is usually "Sincerely"
- Handwritten or digital signature of the applicant